[Mailman-Users] moving a mailing list to a new subdomain

Matthew Needham mneedham at hdfgroup.org
Fri May 17 17:45:40 CEST 2013

An update...

On May 16, 2013, at 14:48 PM, Matthew Needham <mneedham at hdfgroup.org> wrote:

> I have a mailman install under cPanel, and I need to move my lists from listname at bigdata.org to listname at lists.bigdata.org. I've read quite a few webpages about how to move lists and rename lists, and I've done a lot of testing. I feel like I'm very close to getting this to work. The only problem that remains is scrubbed attachments.
>
> I've followed the directions at http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030617, and while it says that "links to scrubbed attachments [that] point to the oldlist" can be fixed with "bin/arch --wipe newlist", this doesn't work for me. the command completes without error, but when I look at an archived message, the I still see "URL: <http://mail.bigdata.org/mailman/private/listname_bigdata.org/attachments/20130513/5d587194/attachment.obj>
>

> I have two questions.
>
> 1. For the situation I described, are the instructions on that FAQ (moving the files) the ones I should be following?
>
> 2. Should the arch --wipe command really be fixing the links to the scrubbed attachments? I also tried renaming the list  from list1 to list2 without changing the domain, and that didn't help. It seems like it should be easy enough change them manually, but I'd rather use whatever mechanism Mailman provides.

The URL in the archives is updated for attachments that were received when scrubbing is OFF. For attachments that were received when scrubbing is ON, the URL is not rewritten and still points to the old list.

Incidentally, message headers report that this is Mailman 2.1.15.

Thanks.

--

Matthew Needham

The HDF Group