[Mailman-Users] SMTP problem after recovering from disk full, clues?

David Josephson dlj at josephson.com
Mon May 20 07:45:21 CEST 2013

A very old and well-used list has been fine for years on this box,
running Mailman 2.1.10 on Red Hat 7.2. The disk got full and everything
crashed. I was able to clear out a couple GB of space and get all
services running again, but now mailman will not send any messages,
either to the list admins or to members. Just before it died completely,
admins got a "We're sorry, we hit a bug" email.

Incoming spam is properly discarded and logged in /logs/vette. Incoming
posts show up in /logs/post showing 250 failures (there are 698 members
on the list). The web interface seems to be functioning properly.

/logs/smtp-failure shows
"Low level smtp error: (-2, 'Name or service not known'), msgid: ..."
and then

May 19 22:02:15 2013 (16851) Low level smtp error: please run connect()
first, msgid: ...

and then listings of each of the addresses where delivery was attempted,
each with "delivery to xx at yy failed with code -1: (-2, 'Name or service
not known')"

Nothing has changed with /etc/smrsh or sendmail, I can send and receive
mail with mutt just fine.

When I reinstalled mailman and sent it a test post, I got the group
mismatch error reminder in the returned mail message that I needed to
run configure with --with-mail-gid=mail, which I did, now test messages
to lists don't bounce back to the sender, they just don't get out of the
server.

Following some of the FAQs I've looked with dumpdb and find no obviously
corrupt .pck files. I moved ~mailman/lists and ~mailman/archives off
somewhere else, reinstalled the same version, brought those directories
back to ~mailman, and get the same behavior.

What am I missing?

--
David Josephson