[Mailman-Users] Postfix, Dovecot LDA and Mailman

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Oct 17 16:57:46 CEST 2013

On 10/17/2013 02:33 AM, Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff wrote:

> I'm a bit frustrated 'cause I want to setup mailman on our system which
> runs on postfix using dovecot as the delivery agent.
> ... I guess that somehow my
> alias setup does not work at all and I have to set something not to make
> dovecot try to deliver the message to a user rather than delivering it
> to mailman. Logs and more explanation follow.

The dovecot LDA does not recognize aliases.

> /etc/postfix/main.cf

postconf -n is generally preferred.

>      virtual_alias_domains               = lists.aplusr.at
>      virtual_alias_maps                  =
> hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

You probably don't want the above two.

>      #transport_maps                      =
> hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/transport-mailman

but you probably do want this

This is another way to do it. See <http://wiki.list.org/x/EYDt>

>      # Uncomment if you use Postfix virtual domains (but not
>      # postfix-to-mailman.py), but be sure to see
>      # /usr/share/doc/mailman/README.Debian first.
>      MTA='Postfix'
>      POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['lists.aplusr.at']
>      POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/etc/mailman/virtual_to_transport'

Above is OK but only if you uncomment the transport_maps setting in Postfix.

> As you can see, I was also already trying to use the workaround from
>

> http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/Mailman+-+Postfix+integration+with+Mailman+generated+transport+or+other+maps
>

> but at the moment it's not loaded because actually (!) I guess my
> current setup should work.

Wrong! You can't use aliases with the Dovecot LDA because only Postfix's
'local' LDA recognizes aliases. That's why you need transport_maps to
override dovecot and use local for list mail.

 I really searched in the net and also read
> installation and configuring instructions on mailman's wikipedia page.

What page is that? <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mailman_%28GNU%29>
doesn't seem to have installation and configuring instructions.

> At first, everything was setup with the postfix_to_mailman.py script but
> I don't want to use it anymore because it's third party thingy.
> (Nevertheless, this one also did not work.)

It should work if you set it up right, but I suggest using 'local' and
aliases per <http://wiki.list.org/x/ZoCj>.