[Mailman-Users] Disaster recovery: fastest / best route advice sought

Richard richard at KarmannGhia.org
Wed Sep 25 20:34:01 CEST 2013

Well Gang,

I never did get mail working properly until this morning, and I'm just now
focusing my attention back on mailman - can't worry about a mailing list
manager when there's no competent mail services! (Note: FC19 is a bad
choice for a server - I'll say no more about it.)

...This means we had our event and of course never had any email
communications before it and, unfortunately, it was the worse for it...

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> cat /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Version.py and look at
>
> MAJOR_REV = 2
> MINOR_REV = 1
> MICRO_REV = 16
> REL_LEVEL = GAMMA

Thanks, Mark, I'v apparently been using 2.1.13.

I presume that, with the goal of restoring between versions, there
aren't any significant issues with either loading into mailman.x86_64
3:2.1.15-12.fc19, or possibly mailman-2.1.14-12.fc16.x86_64... I'm still
reading up on the articles you pointed me at.

Nobody responded regarding splitting web and email activities - is this
even possible? Right now is the time for me to decide which route to take.
Whichever route, it won't be fun!

Right now the email services are being performed by an older internal
server which has some good advantages for users, but it doesn't at present
expose web services, and I haven't got a gateway / firewall that can
forward port 80 because they're already in service serving httpd... ...I'm
concerned that running on other than port 80 will cause other kinds of
problems. I'm also not anxious to the risk of opening up an nfs disk to
such a system, but could that even work?

Any thoughts, please? If you think splitting things up is unrealistic,
please say so! Otherwise, I might be dumb (desperate) enough to try it and
I've lost a lot of time as it is!

Thanks much,
Richard

--
Richard Troy, Founder & current President
The Karmann Ghia Club of North America

Richard at KarmannGhia.org, http://KarmannGhia.org/Richard/