[Mailman-Users] [Mailman-Announce] Mailman 2.1.16 release.
mark at msapiro.net
Sun Sep 29 05:13:36 CEST 2013
I am pleased to announce the third release candidate for Mailman 2.1.16.
Python 2.4 is the minimum supported, but Python 2.7 is recommended.
This release has a few new features and several bug fixed as detailed in
the attached README.
Differences from the second candidate are the renaming of the
author_is_list feature to from_is_list to more accurately describe what
it does. This feature has also been extended to provide the option of
leaving the original message intact and wrapping it in an outer part
with Content-Type: message/rfc822.
The from_is_list feature is considered experimental and subject to
change in future releases. It is being released now as a "candidate" to
allow some exposure before the final 2.1.16 release which should occur
Mailman is free software for managing email mailing lists and
e-newsletters. Mailman is used for all the python.org and
SourceForge.net mailing lists, as well as at hundreds of other sites.
For more information, please see:
Mailman 2.1.16rc3 can be downloaded from
I anticipate that the 2.1.16 final release will be in Mid October.
Bugs found between now and then will be fixed if possible, but I hope
that most if not all changes between now and then will be i18n updates.
Please send any updates to the templates and/or message catalogs in the
2.1.16rc3 release directly to me no later than 15 Oct 2013.
Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
-------------- next part --------------
- There is a new list attribute from_is_list to either rewrite the From:
header of posts replacing the posters address with that of the list or
wrap the message in an outer message From: the list for compatability
with DMARC and or ADSP. There is a new mm_cfg.py setting
DEFAULT_FROM_IS_LIST to control the default for new lists, and the
existing REMOVE_DKIM_HEADERS setting has been extended to allow removing
those headers only for certain from_is_list lists. This feature must
be enabled by setting ALLOW_FROM_IS_LIST to Yes in mm_cfg.py. See the
description of these settings in Defaults.py for more detail. This
feature is experimental in 2.1.16, and it is subject to change or to
become just one of the two methods in a subsequent release. People
interested in this feature are encouraged to try it and report their
experiences to the mailman-users at python.org list.
- There is a new DISPLAY_HELD_SUMMARY_SORT_BUTTONS setting which if set
in mm_cfg.py will display a set of radio buttons in the admindb held
message summary to select how the held messages are sorted and grouped
for display. The exact setting determines the default grouping and
sorting. See the description in Defaults.py for details.
- Setting digest_size_threshhold to zero now means no digests will be
sent based on size instead of a digest being sent with every post.
- There is a new mm_cfg.py setting SUBSCRIBE_FORM_SECRET which will put
a dynamically generated, hidden hash in the listinfo subscribe form and
check it upon submission. Setting this will prevent automated processes
(bots) from successfully POSTing web subscribes without first retrieving
and parsing the form from the listinfo page. The form must also be
submitted no later than FORM_LIFETIME nor no earlier than
SUBSCRIBE_FORM_MIN_TIME after retrieval. Note that enabling this will
break any static subscribe forms on your site. See the description in
Defaults.py for more info. (LP: #1082746)
- add_members now has an option to add members with mail delivery disabled
by admin. (LP: #1070574)
- IncomingRunner now logs rejected messages to the vette log.
- The name of the mailmanctl master lock file is now congigurable via the
mm_cfg.py setting MASTER_LOCK_FILE. (LP: #1082308)
- list_lists now has an option to list only lists with public archives.
- A new import_majordomo_into_mailman.pl script has been contributed by
Geoff Mayes. (LP: #1129742)
- A new "sitemap" bash script has been contributed by Tomasz Chmielewski
<mangoo at wpkg.org> to generate a sitemap.xml file of an installation's
public archives for submission to search engines.
- A Farsi (Persian) translation has been added thanks to Javad Hoseini and
- Fixed several misspelled or garbled string replacements in the Spanish
message catalog. (LP: #1160138)
- pt_BR message catalog has two new and an updated message per Hugo Koji
Kobayashi. (LP: #1138578)
- German message catalog has been updated per Ralf Hildebrandt.
- Corrected typo in templates/it/private.html.
Bug Fixes and other patches
- Fixed cron/disabled to send a fresh cookie when notifying disabled
members. (LP: #1203200)
- Added "message_id" to the interpolation dictionary for the Article.html
template. (LP: #725498)
- Changed the admin GUI to report only the bad entries in a list of email
addresses if any are bad. (LP: #558253)
- Added logging for template errors in HyperArch.py. (LP: #558254)
- Added more explanation to the bad owner address message from
bin/newlist. (LP: #1200763)
- Fixed a bug causing the admin web interface to fail CSRF checking if
the list name contains a '+' character. (LP: #1190802)
- Fixed bin/mailmanctl -s to not remove the master lock if it can't be
determined to be truly stale. (LP: #1189558)
- It is no longer possible to add 'invalid' addresses to the ban_list
and the *_these_nonmembers filters from the check boxes on the admindb
interface. (LP: #1187201)
- Backported recognition for mail.ru DSNs and minor bug fixes from
lp:flufl.bounce. (LP: #1074592, LP: #1079249 and #1079254)
- Defended against buggy web servers that don't include an empty
QUERY_STRING in the CGI environment. (LP: #1160647)
- The Switchboard.finish() method now logs the text of the exception when
it fails to unlink/preserve a .bak file. (LP: #1165589)
- The pending (un)subscriptions waiting approval are now sorted by email
address in the admindb interface as intended. (LP: #1164160)
- The subscribe log entry for a bin/add_members subscribe now identifies
bin/add_members as the source. (LP: #1161642)
- Fixed a bug where the Subject: of the user notification of a
bin/remove_members unsubscribe was not in the user's language.
- Fixed a bug where BounceRunner could create and leave behind zero length
bounce-events files. (LP: #1161610)
- Added recognition for another Yahoo bounce format. (LP: #1157961)
- Changed configure's method for getting Python's include directory from
distutils.sysconfig.get_python_inc(). (LP: #1098162)
- Added an Auto-Generated: header to password reminders. (LP: #558240)
- Fixed a bug where non-ascii characters in the real name in a subscription
request could throw a UnicodeEncodeError upon subscription approval and
perhaps in other situations too. (LP: #1047100)
- The query fragments send_unsub_notifications_to_list_owner and
send_unsub_ack_to_this_batch will now assume default values if not set
in mass unsubscribe URLs. (LP: #1032378)
- Replaced utf-8 encoded characters in newly added German templates with
HTML entities. (LP: #1018208)
More information about the Mailman-Users