[Mailman-Users] Mirror mailing list with web forum

Tim Walter tim at yingtong.co.uk
Fri Apr 18 01:36:37 CEST 2014

On 17 Apr 2014, at 22:04, Jon 1234 <jon.1234 at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> > From: tim at yingtong.co.uk
> > I have it working with Fudforum and although the fudforum integration was (to me) poorly documented I got it working and has been stable / rock solid for a couple of years now.
> >
> > It would be nice to get things like membership linked between the two and to more easily identify forum posters (when their mail hits the list) but that is just a comment not a request (unless someone has worked it out!)
> >
> > BW Tim
> I'm pleased to hear this - out of interest, which versions of FUDforum and Mailman are you running?
>
> I have some ideas about linking membership and will report back here if I come up with anything useful.
>
> By 'more easily identify forum posters' do you mean by, for instance, a header/footer stating that the message came from the web interface? I think that would be fairly easy to implement. Or is it part of your linking-membership point? - so that, for instance, you'd want Mailman to realise when a forum post should (or should not) be held for moderation?
>
> Best wishes
>
> Jon

Hi Jon,
FUDForum 3.0.5 but several version prior to the latest too.
Mailman 2.1.12 as part of Virtualmin

ref identity I really mean at present most of the traffic is on the mailing list (and the forum is more of an archive for 80% of the joint community) where users complain they can’t easily identify forum posters as people (its a friendly bunch) as I’ve set it to post to the list as the single subscribed list address.  They/I would like to see the forum users name/email address somewhere inside the body text so they can say “Hi Peter, good to hear from you, I think I can answer this one…”  I’ve searched within FUDforum for documentation of how to format posts to include posters names etc. to no avail.

In reality for membership intergration between the two I suspect I wouldn’t be first in the queue currently as I have several hundred subscribers both places, with significant overlap between them!

BW TIm