[Mailman-Users] Delivery failure from mailing list

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Sun Apr 20 20:33:58 CEST 2014

On Sun, 2014-04-20 at 20:27 +0530, Amit Bhatt wrote:
> Could not exec '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/mail/mailman'

This should be a simple exercise in basic Linux system administration,
and someone at your hosting service, even a novice or an intern, should
be able to figure it out

What user does the process attempting to execute IPC run as?

What are the permissions
of /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/mail/mailman, and what is the
relationship to these permissions of the process trying to do IPC?

It should be noted that Mailman makes more use of group execute
permissions that a lot of packages, and in building and installing
Mailman, it's important to set --with-mail-gid appropriately when
running the configure script.  The result of a mismatch here is a
permissions failure, but the last time I made this mistake I _did_ get a
fairly explanatory bunch of error messages posted to the mail log.

If you're working via cPanel then you obviously don't have
administrative access to the system, but surely _someone_ with your
hosting service has enough basic Unix/Linux systems knowledge to figure
this out in rather short order.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works if you let it"
FMP Computer Services |