[Mailman-Users] Can I remove a particular archive from the list?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Apr 21 16:03:58 CEST 2014

Richard Damon writes:
 > On 4/21/14, 6:56 AM, Amit Bhatt wrote:
 > > As a list administrator, do I have any option to remove any particular
 > > post from the archive of all messages?
 > > Please share how to do this.
 > >
 > > Thanks,
 > >
 > > Amit Bhatt
 >
 > Not through the Web interface. I believe if you have *server* admin
 > level access, you can edit the mbox file holding the messages, remove
 > the message, and regenerate the archives.

Yes, that's exactly the procedure.  However, this will cause all posts
after that message to change URLs.  You have some hope of preserving
URLs (which may have been communicated as references on the mailing
list or in private mail, etc) if you edit the mail in the mbox file,
substituting a fake address in the Unix From line that starts a
message, removing all but the required From, Date, and Message-Id
header fieldss and substituting a fake name and address in From and a
local id in Message-Id, and replacing the entire message body with the
sentence "This message was removed by the administrator".  Then
regenerate the archives.

This could actually be automated fairly easily I suppose, but I don't
know if it's a great idea.