[Mailman-Users] Urgent List Migration/Transfer - Need some help

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 24 02:21:24 CEST 2014

On 04/23/2014 03:37 PM, Drew Tenenholz wrote:

> But would like to clarify that this information is up-to-date for our install (Mailman 2.1.9 --> ?? presumably the same or even a newer and better version).

It's probably fine, but assuming the new server has a Mailman 2.1.9 or
newer actually installed and working, here's the procedure I would follow:

On the new server, untar your tarball somewhere aside. 'cp -a' all of
the directories in the tarball's var/lib/mailman/lists/ directory to the
corresponding Mailman list's directory which may have a different path.

likewise all the var/lib/mailman/archives/private/*.mbox/ directories.
Each of these LISTNAME.mbox directories should contain a single
LISTNAME.mbox file which is the cumulative archive mbox for the list.

You can rebuild the a list's archive with 'bin/arch --wipe LISTNAME'.
This may be preferable to copying all of archives/private because there
are URLs in the HTML archive that may have the wrong host name. If not,
you can copy the whole archives/private directory and skip the rebuild.

If some lists are very old, it's a good idea to check the mbox files
with bin/cleanarch before running bin/arch.

It is not necessary or advisable to copy archives/public as this
contains only symlinks and Mailman continuously (each time the list is
saved) sets or removes those as appropriate for public/private archive
settings. Its better not to try to copy archives/public/* because it's
not necessary and if your tar followed symlinks you will be restoring
files and your public archive will forever more consist of only those files.

You also have to deal with aliases for mail delivery. Depending on the
new installation, bin/genaliases may be needed or nothing or some manual
updates, but bin/genaliases will tell you about those.

Also, be sure to run bin/check_perms. This is usually needed.

The above will move the lists and archives. If you're concerned about
held messages, shunted messages, etc. you could look at the data/ and
qfiles/shunt directories, although they may not even be in your tarball
depending on paths in the installation you're coming from.