[Mailman-Users] Yahoo's DMARC and Mailman 2.17

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 24 05:08:09 CEST 2014

On 04/23/2014 07:16 PM, Russell Clemings wrote:

> If the poster has not filled out the "name" field in his/her MUA (i.e., if
> the From field says just "email at example.com" instead of "Your Name Here <
> email at example.com>"), then the munged From field reads "via Listname"
> instead of "Your Name Here via Listname."

This is <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1304511> fixed in
2.1.18rc1. 2.1.18rc2 is released and is better than 2.1.17 for this and
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1279667> and a few unrelated
bug fixes, but I'm working on another patch for
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1311431> and there will shortly
be a 2.1.18rc3.

Here's the code in CookHeaders.py. Sorry for the wrapping.

    if (msgdata.get('from_is_list') or mlist.from_is_list) and not
fasttrack:
        realname, email = parseaddr(msg['from'])
        if not realname:
            if mlist.isMember(email):
                realname = mlist.getMemberName(email) or email
            else:
                realname = email
        # Remove domain from realname if it looks like an email address
        realname = re.sub(r'@([^ .]+\.)+[^ .]+$', '---', realname)
        change_header('From',
                      formataddr(('%s via %s' % (realname, mlist.real_name),
                                 mlist.GetListEmail())),

This takes first, the display name from the From: header. If none and
the address is a list member with a real name, use that, and finally
fall back to the local part of the email address with 3 dashes appended.