[Mailman-Users] DMARC: Testing anonymous_list as an option

Terry Earley terry at fiteyes.com
Fri Apr 25 22:06:21 CEST 2014

I have been reading these posts and your
documentation<http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/DMARC>with interest,
and since in our list, we moderate every post, we did not
have too much concern about having moderators re-post yahoo messages. Then
the news that AOL is joining the DMARC party got me worrying that soon the
big players, gmail, hotmail, etc may also decide to implement DMARC for
messages coming from their users.

To prepare for that possibility, I have been testing one of the solutions,
anonymous_list. In my test environment, it passes a yahoo post to my gmail
account without a problem since "from" is our list's address, so it
matches. The problem is identifying the poster in some way in the message
body. I added a msg_header with "user_address" and text, but that returns
the recipient's email address, not the sender's. The moderators see the
sender's email address, but it is not passed to the recipient by design, I
know. That is what anonymous is for. Currently, moderators cannot directly
edit pending posts.

My question then is what variable would return the sender's address in the
msg_header? If there is no variable, then how could we do that? Some of our
posters carry more credibility than others.

We are on version 2.1.13, with full personalization set, and using SPF and
DKIM. anonymous_list currently set to "no" in our production environment.

Terry Earley
FitEyes