[Mailman-Users] 2.1.18 internal documentation suggestions

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Wed Apr 30 21:56:47 CEST 2014

The internal documentation in the admin screens for 2.1.18 is a bit
confusing with regard to Reply-To munging.

In the doc for the from_is_list option we have "It replaces the poster's
address in the From: header with the list address and adds the poster to
the Reply-To: header, but the anonymous_list and Reply-To: header
munging settings below take priority."

Which Reply-To: header munging settings take priority, and how should
one set them so that they don't override from_is_list?

If dmarc_moderation_action overrides from_is_list, as the doc for it
says it does, is it also overridden by Reply-To: header munging
settings?

Also, in the doc for reply_goes_to_list, we see "When set to Poster [the
default], no Reply-To: header is added by Mailman".  Does this mean that
this overrides from_is_list, which if set says that it causes the
original From header to be inserted into the Reply-To header?

I can probably figure this out, but it might be good to explain this a
bit more completely in the Mailman internal docs.  It's not really clear
exactly how these options relate, and how the precedence of settings is
organized.  These may be stupid questions, but I can just about
guarantee you that all my list admins will trip on them :(

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works if you let it"
FMP Computer Services |