[Mailman-Users] New To Mailman

Anthony (N2KI) n2ki.ham at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 14:23:54 CEST 2014

Mark,

I have been using IS Mail, which is an email server program on a Win 7 64
bit machine for a number of years.  What this is used for is to send Alert
Activation's (very short messages) to a group of volunteers that assist the
county during emergencies (ie, flooding, severe weather, tornadic activity,
power outages, etc).  It basically will mobilize the troops.   As of late,
many of the messages that have been sent range from getting marked by gmail
as spam to completely bounced by Verizon (using the phone number @ vtext.com
syntax).    My thought was to find a different/alternate email server
program that I can do the same thing with.  Since many of the reflectors I
subscribe to use Mailman, I though I would give it a go.  The requirement
was to use a Linux based system in order to do this.  I know ZERO about
Linux.

What I have done so far is to install Virtual Box on the Win 7 64 machine
and also install Ubuntu within VirtualBox.  I used Ubuntu to download
Mailman and then extract it to a separate file folder.  That's where I am
at.  Because of my lack of Linux, I am stuck as to how to start Mailman or
even set it up.  My intent here is to create three lists as I have now with
IS Mail so that the Emergency Coordinator can send a message to the
reflector and it will notify the subscribed email addresses for the
volunteers subsequently activating the group.

Regards,

Anthony (N2KI)