[Mailman-Users] Mailman digest issues

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Aug 12 02:59:48 CEST 2014

On 08/11/2014 06:15 AM, Henrik Rasmussen wrote:
> I am using Mailman version 2.1.12.
>
> One of my list admins have complained that he's list does not send out digest mails, which is most likely because he set digest_size_threshhold to 1000.

That could be the reason.

> But he also complains that no digest mails are being sent when he set _send_digest_now to Yes.

Did he press "Submit Your Changes" after setting _send_digest_now to
Yes? If so, and if there were digested messages and digest members with
delivery enabled, something else is wrong.

What response did he get when pressing "Submit Your Changes" after
setting _send_digest_now to Yes? What's in Mailman's error log.

> He also set digest_send_periodic to Yes.
>
> We're confused that the digest_send_periodic  text is saying "Should a digest be dispatched daily when the size threshold isn't reached?" as he wants the digest to be sent weekly as set in digest_volume_frequency.

digest_volume_frequency has nothing to do with how often periodic
digests are sent. It only controls how often the vvv is incremented and
ii is reset in the "List_name Digest, Vol vvv, Issue ii" Subject: header
of the digest.

> The /var/log/cron shows that the /usr/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests is being run daily at noon.

Good.

> 1)      Where can I see if digest mails are in fact being sent out?

Your MTA logs and Mailman's smtp log. Also, digest messages are
accumulated in lists/list_name/digest.mbox, and when a digest is sent,
this file is removed.

> 2)      Where will Mailman log digest issues?

Mailman's error log and in the output from cron/senddigests (for
periodic digests.

Note, that often the output, if any, from Mailman's cron jobs is mailed
to the 'mailman' user which happens to be the site list. If the site
list is not configured to accept non-member posts, and the site admin is
not a member of the site list, this output is often lost.

You can either set the site list as above or add a MAILTO= directive
with a deliverable address to Mailman's crontab.

> 3)      Does the digest_send_periodic daily affect the digest_volume_frequency weekly?

They have nothing to do with each other.

Note you can run cron/senddigests manually for all or a single list. See
'cron/senddigests -h'.