[Mailman-Users] Scrub_nondigest removing html message text

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Aug 13 02:00:55 CEST 2014

On 08/12/2014 03:33 PM, Peter Shute wrote:
> We've discovered that if scrub_nondigest is set to Yes, the text of html messages (perhaps html-only?) is removed and replaced with a link to it. When users follow the link, the html tags in the text are visible because the angle brackets have been replaced with html codes.
>
> Is there a way to prevent scrub_nondigest removing these message parts? Is there a way to at least stop the angle brackets getting converted to codes?

This is at least partially controlled by the ARCHIVE_HTML_SANITIZER
setting. Read the documentation for this setting in Mailman/Defaults.py
and if you want to change it from the default, set it in Mailman/mm_cfg.py.

The real issue is that scrub_nondigest is something of an afterthought
for people who want non-text/plain attachments to list posts removed and
replaced by links.

The scrubber's purpose is to flatten the message to a single text/plain
part for the list's archive and the plain format digest. Thus, if you
want an HTML part rendered as HTML rather than a plain text
representation of the HTML source, you need to set
ARCHIVE_HTML_SANITIZER = 3 which will save the HTML part aside and
replace it by a link, but be sure to read the comment about this setting
in Defaults.py.

You can set ARCHIVE_HTML_SANITIZER = 2 which will leave the HTML inline,
but it will be in a text/plain message and HTML-escaped.