[Mailman-Users] Welcome email text file strips carriage returns

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Aug 15 18:26:20 CEST 2014

On 08/15/2014 06:36 AM, David Law wrote:

> Having a problem with the "Welcome email text file".
>
> When I add something like
>
> line 1
> line 2
> line 3
>
> It's being converted to
>
> line 1 line 2 line 3

Did you follow the "(Details for welcome_msg)" link? If you do, I think
the details there will answer your question

> And this
>
> line 1
>
> line 2
>
> line 3
>
> Converted to
>
> line 1
> line 2
> line 3
>
> Basically stripping out single carriage returns.

Mailman isn't doing this, As Larry suggests, this may be your mail client.

> Found a way around this for paragraphs (second example) by adding an
> space between paragraphs (space character)
>
> line 1
>   < space
> line 2
>   < space
> line 3
>   < space

The presence or absence of a space on an otherwise empty line shouldn't
matter.

> But not for example 1.

You could precede the lines with a space to prevent wrapping as in

 Line 1
 Line 2
 Line 3

as opposed to