[Mailman-Users] Redacted Email Address in Feedback Loop

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Mon Aug 18 16:53:11 CEST 2014

On Mon, 2014-08-18 at 12:33 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Peter Knowles writes:
>
>  > What is the best way to deal with feedback loop messages where the
>  > provider has redacted the email address of the party who filed the
>  > complaint?
>
> What do you want to do with this information?  Just unsubscribe that
> user?  I'd say pass the buck back to the provider.

I've had to deal with this with AOL subscribers.  I have scripts which
try to pull the VERPed recipient address out of various headers in the
feedback loop messages and unsubscribe the complaining subscriber, but
the redaction algorithm is inconsistent, which makes it difficult.  I
ended up hacking the MM source to create an AES crypt of the subscriber
and the list name and putting this into the (RFC-spec'd but seldom used)
Resent-Message-ID header.  The AES secret key is put into mm_cfg.py.

If you grok MM internals a bit and understand withlist and python, and
don't mind importing the Python Crypto library I can send you the
information on this hack, but I'd rather turn it over to the MM people
for some sort of public posting so everyone can have a go at it, and I
might not be the only person who could answer questions about it when
people have them.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works if you let it"
FMP Computer Services |