[Mailman-Users] Redacted Email Address in Feedback Loop

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Aug 19 02:30:42 CEST 2014

Will Yardley writes:

 > I think munging the headers is a sensible practice, as it makes it
 > a little harder to listwash; the main idea of the FBL as I understand it
 > is to give you an idea when there's some kind of gross abuse,

That's what they say, but in many cases that's not what they do.  In
particular, when one of *their* users hits the spam button on a mail
they requested which has the unsubscribe address in the footer, that's
"gross abuse" by the subscriber.  However, that's not the kind of
gross abuse that a list or site admin can do anything about.  Why is
it being reported by the feedback loop?  Can you be sure it's not a
component of your host's reputation that could cause your list to be
blocked at that destination?

 > not that you are required to unsubscribe anyone who complains about
 > your mail.

What "required"?  It's a common preference of list owners that gross
abusers have their subscriptions terminated.  And the threat is clear:
the provider considers *their* user's misbehavior to be the fault of
the *list*, otherwise there's no point in reporting "feedback".

YMMV, of course, but that's the way I and many other list admins see
it.  As a Mailman developer, I think that if there's a sane way to
help deal with this, Mailman should provide it.

Regards,