[Mailman-Users] Mailman On Raspbian

Barry S. Finkel bsfinkel at att.net
Thu Aug 21 16:01:29 CEST 2014

On 8/21/2014 7:12 AM, Anthony (N2KI) wrote:
> I am installing Mailman on a Pi.  after I installed via the repository I
> got this message but do not know how to proceed with this request.  Thanks
> for any help to get this operational.
>

> To finish creating your mailing list, you must edit your /etc/aliases (or
> equivalent) file by adding the following lines, and possibly running the
> `newaliases' program:
>
>> ## mailman mailing list
>> mailman:              "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"
>> mailman-admin:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin mailman"
>> mailman-bounces:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces mailman"
>> mailman-confirm:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm mailman"
>> mailman-join:         "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join mailman"
>> mailman-leave:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave mailman"
>> mailman-owner:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner mailman"
>> mailman-request:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman"
>> mailman-subscribe:    "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe mailman"
>> mailman-unsubscribe:  "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe mailman"
>>
>> Hit enter to notify mailman owner...
>

> Regards,
>
> Anthony

Anthony, you do what the message says.  I do not know what mailer
you are using (Postfix, sendmail, etc.), so I cannot give you specific
instructions.  Look at your mailer's alias file.  It probably does not
have the aliases (listed above) that are required for Mailman to run.
Run the "newaliases" commmand, and then check the aliases file.
If these aliases are not in the file, then you have to add them and
use "newaliases" to rebuilt the aliases database files.

--Barry Finkel