[Mailman-Users] Robots.txt

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull at sk.tsukuba.ac.jp
Sun Dec 28 01:19:41 CET 2014

Mark Sapiro writes:
 > On 12/26/2014 09:21 AM, Greg Sims wrote:

 > > Is there a way to have a robots.txt file for the
 > > lists.raystedman.org subdomain?
 >
 > Absolutely. Just put it in the root directory that contains the page
 > which is served when you go to <http://lists.raystedman.org/>. I.e., put
 > it where it will be served if you go to
 > <http://lists.raystedman.org/robots.txt>

In my case, I'm not even sure where that is (I think it's
/var/www/way/over/there, see below, but there's some funky CGI script
aliasing going on), and anyway it's different from where my fingers
expect to find robots.txt.  So I use

    <VirtualHost>
        ServerName tracker.xemacs.org
        DocumentRoot /var/www/way/over/there
        Alias /robots.txt /var/www/robots-tracker.xemacs.org
        ScriptAlias ...
    </VirtualHost>

where /var/www is the root of the "file system" I allow Apache to
see.  The order of Alias and ScriptAlias matters, IIRC.

Season to taste if your webserver isn't Apache.