[Mailman-Users] Mailman setting not "sticking"

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Feb 2 18:40:55 CET 2014

On 02/01/2014 07:44 PM, Liz Zoob wrote:

> One of the Umbrella list settings under General Options is "Send monthly
> password reminders?" which I have set to NO. (None of our members want to
> access the list messages via the web, so they don't have or need
> passwords.)

Actually, this is (or should be) the first setting under "Notifications"
which is the section immediately below "Umbrella list settings" on the
admin General Options page.

> Nonetheless, some of our members are getting these Monthly
> Reminder Messages anyway, despite the NO setting (not all--I haven't gotten
> one myself), and they are writing to me, confused. Can anyone explain to me
> why the NO setting is not sticking, or is being overridden? It is also
> puzzling why only some of the members are getting the reminder.

I suspect this is related to the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/EoCE>.
I.e., there is another Mailman installation somewhere with a previous
incarnation of the list that is sending these reminders. See that FAQ,
particularly the final paragraph.

> There is no setting in the individual members' settings/options that has
> anything to do with this reminder, nor do all recipients of the reminders
> have the same email domains.

Actually, there is a "Get password reminder email for this list?" user
option which is not in the admin Membership List checkboxes but is on
the user's options page, BUT this can only turn off reminders for a user
if the list setting is ON. It cannot turn reminders on for a user if the
list setting is OFF.

> One more bit of information: The person who set up the mailing list for us
> also set up two other regional lists, all within the same domain. In other
> words, my list is xxx_xxx.ourdomain.org, while another is
> yyy_yyy.ourdomain.org. Is it possible that there are "master umbrella" (?)
> settings somewhere that override mine, settings that the original
> setter-upper of this software can tweak? By the way, I did write to him
> too, but I like to find out whatever I can on my own. Plus I may not be at
> the top of his priority list.

There are no "master" settings that would override the individual list
settings, but as I suggest above, there is likely a separate list that
is the source of these reminders.