[Mailman-Users] converting an e-mail discussion to a list (with existing archive)

Larry Kuenning larry at qhpress.org
Mon Feb 3 21:53:12 CET 2014

On 2/3/2014 3:11 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Steps 3. through 6. could be more easily accomplished by the following:
>
> 1) Gather all the emails into a single *nix mbox format file. Depending
> on your email client, this may already exist as the folder containing
> the desired messages.
>
> 2) copy that mbox file to
> /path/to/mailman/archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox
>
> 3) run Mailman's
> bin/arch --wipe listname

Before running step 3 it might be a good idea to verify that all the
messages in your mbox file have correct "Date:" lines.  Incorrect Date
lines will cause Mailman to arrange messages in the wrong order.

Date lines can be incorrect if the original sender's MUA was
misconfigured.  If a wrong timestamp is given, Mailman will accept it
and order the messages accordingly.  If a message has no timestamp at
all, Mailman will order that message as if it had been sent at the
moment when Mailman is indexing the archive.

At least this is what happened for me when I tried a somewhat similar
project.

--
Larry Kuenning
larry at qhpress.org