[Mailman-Users] Why does iOS's Safari log out the moderator web page?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Feb 4 16:41:28 CET 2014

Peter Shute writes:

 > I don't have access to do that, and I think it's probably too
 > difficult for me anyway. I was hoping it was a configuration option
 > that I could ask the administrator to try. Maybe I'll just pray
 > that iOS 7.1 fixes it.

Unlikely.  This "feature" is a *fix*.

The problem is that "convenience" may be defined as "things that do
what I want without asking annoying questions."  Since "what I want"
requires mind-reading, which few computers are capable of as yet, most
vendors focus on "avoiding annoying questions".  As any martinet with
a teaching degree knows, *all* questions are annoying, so don't ask
any is the (naive) consumer-friendly policy.

That policy is what earned Windows its reputation for insecurity
(deserved IMHO, YMMV).  Apple is trying to do better (after all,
computer viruses were invented basically to screw the Mac -- they have
been seriously burned), and so they are taking a conservative approach
to getting confirmation from the user that they really are the owner
of the device and that they really do want to do whatever it is that
some random program off the Internet proposed that they do.

So iOS 7.1 might be a little bit better, but I wouldn't bet on a lot.