[Mailman-Users] list reply domain mangled

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Feb 5 16:06:24 CET 2014

On 02/04/2014 04:53 PM, Ryan Caron wrote:

> At this point I'm guessing MTA somewhere is changing all this, but
> where? The MTA in the box is sendmail, but as for the rest of the
> network...

Does sendmail deliver directly to the recipient MX or does it relay
through another host in the local (ucla.edu) network? The Received:
headers in a message will tell you which MTAs it passed through. It is
almost certainly some MTA in the ucla.edu if not in the zzz.ucla.edu domain.

Since 'reply list' works sometimes (I'm guessing when it doesn't, it
isn't offered because you are looking at a direct Cc:, not a list copy),
the List-Post: header is correct, so Mailman is doing the right thing
and it is a downstream MTA that is munging From: and Reply-To: domains.