[Mailman-Users] configuration glitch causing mail delivery fail

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jan 8 00:40:14 CET 2014

On 01/07/2014 03:18 PM, Steve Lindemann wrote:

> Unfortunately when mailman sends messages they fail to deliver to most
> of the list subscribers and the maillog shows that the helo used is the
> actual name of the server, not the name of the email server.  Naturally
> the receiving server disconnects when the names isn't right.

How is Mailman delivering mail? If it is delivering to a local MTA on
localhost, how it identifies itself in HELO to this MTA is irrelevant as
it is this MTA, not Mailman that is attempting delivery to the recipient MX.

> I could understand this with the move to the new server except every
> where I know to configure this (both postfix and mailman) I have the
> name email.marmot.org configured as the URL of the host.  Regular email
> works fine from that box, just mailman is having a problem sending.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what I'm missing?

In the normal case, Mailman relays mail through the local MTA (Postfix).
How Mailman identifies itself to this MTA is irrelevant as long as the
MTA accepts the mail from Mailman (does it)?

If the local postfix can deliver mail, but not Mailman's mail, the only
thing I can see that would affect this is the envelope sender which
would be LISTNAME-bounces at HOSTNAME where HOSTNAME is the list's
host_name attribute.