[Mailman-Users] having bounced messages delivered to administrator or sender

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jan 19 22:41:06 CET 2014

On 01/19/2014 01:49 AM, Hugo Vandeputte wrote:

> Thanks for your response. I tried to disable bounce_processing and
> others options but never received bounce reports. If it's the normal
> behavior for mailman 2.1.x, it's ok, I will just use a batch scanning
> postfix logs...

If you turn bounce_processing off, all bounces will be ignored by Mailman.

If you turn bounce_processing on with appropriate settings and the
notifications on, Mailman will process bounces according to your settings.

If all you want is to see what you can find in the postfix logs, Mailman
with bounce_processing on will do much more. It will log all real
bounces in Mailman's bounce log in a form much more convenient to see
than grepping the postfix logs and it will distinguish a bounce from a
post or other message misdirected to the -bounces address and forward
the latter to the owner.

If you really want the Mailman 2.0.x behavior where all bounces go to
the list owner and are not otherwise processed by Mailman, just change
the Postfix

LIST-bounces: "|/path/to/mailman/mail/mailman LIST bounces"

alias to

LIST-bounces: "|/path/to/mailman/mail/mailman LIST owner"