[Mailman-Users] Group mismatch again.

Bill Christensen billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Tue Jul 15 05:45:47 CEST 2014

On 7/11/14 6:26 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 07/10/2014 11:13 AM, Bill Christensen wrote:
>> The setup:  Moving from Mac OS 10.8.5 to 10.9.4, on a MAMP setup,
>> everything installed using MacPorts.  Upgrading MySQL, PHP, and
>> PostgreSQL in the process.  MacPorts hasn't upgraded Mailman beyond
>> 2.1.13 (a separate issue I may want to address later).  Right now I'm
>> doing test runs on a backup to make sure all the pieces and parts will
>> work properly when I do the update for real.  I have all the other parts
>> in place but I'm now getting the dreaded group mismatch error from Mailman.
>>
>> When I first installed everything I installed Mailman before PostgreSQL,
>> and the feedback told me that I needed either to compile Mailman as
>> --with-mail-gid=postgresql or change the mail server (standard Mac
>> installation of Postfix) to run as group _mailman.  I uninstalled and
>> reinstalled Mailman and now it's telling me that I need to compile
>> Mailman as --with-mail-gid=staff.
>>
>> I changed the setting in MacPorts' file from --with-mail-gid=_mailman to
>> --with-mail-gid=staff and attempted to reinstall, but I'm getting an
>> error that it's "Unable to open port - invalid command name
>> '--with-mail-gid=staff'".
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas of where to go from here?
>
> This is really an Apple issue, at least the way you're going about it.
> Have you asked Apple?
>
> However, you say you (only) changed --with-mail-gid=_mailman to
> --with-mail-gid=staff, and whereas the install worked with
> --with-mail-gid=_mailman, after the change it complains "invalid command
> name '--with-mail-gid=staff'".
>
> I really know nothing about the OS X server Mailman or even where you
> made that change, but in 'standard' Mailman that would be an option to
> configure and configure would never make that exact complaint. Are you
> sure you didn't introduce an extraneous newline or similar that would
> cause --with-mail-gid=staff to be interpreted as a command rather than
> an option to a prior command?

Figured it out.  It was syntax problems:

First, I had added a comment as a note to myself within the
configure_args block, so that if I needed to revert I'd have the exact
line.  I should have known not to put it in the block.

After I moved the comment to before the block, I left the comment with a
trailing "\", as that was at the end of the original line.
Unfortunately, that threw things off also.   Removing the "\" got the
installation working correctly and it's now up and running.