[Mailman-Users] Re-formatting messages

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Thu Jul 17 16:37:01 CEST 2014

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014, Peter Brooks wrote:

> I'm using a mailing list for a very specific application. All the
> e-mails arrive in a standard - but unfriendly format.
>
> How do I reformat them? If I could filter the messages through a unix
> script, that'd do the job perfectly. Is there a way to get mailman to
> pass e-mails through a script before sending them?

I'd say you're thinking about this the wrong way. I'd make sure they're
formatted correctly before Mailman ever sees them. Instead of having your
MTA deliver them to Mailman, change the alias to deliver them to a script
to reformat them, then have the script send them to Mailman.

> To complicate matters a little bit, I'm using a hosted machine, so I
> have to do everything through CPANEL.

As Mark replied as I was writing, this is a problem.

> If this isn't possible, my next option would be to send the messages
> to a machine I do have control over - so, if there's a way to do this
> that needs root access then I'd like to know that too, because that's
> plan C.

See above - I think plan C is the way to go.

-- Larry Stone
    lstone19 at stonejongleux.com