[Mailman-Users] mhonarc patch

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jul 18 04:53:02 CEST 2014

> During the patching process, here is the error produced:

It would help if you actually provided the content of the .rej files.

Also, Are you really patching 2.1.8 or did you mean 2.1.18?

> Hunk #2 FAILED at 106.
> 1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file Mailman/Mailbox.py.rej

The 2.1.7-0.1.patch file I'm looking at which is the patch also for
2.1.8 is trying to replace

        mailbox.PortableUnixMailbox.__init__(self, fp, _archfactory(self))

with

        mailbox.UnixMailbox.__init__(self, fp, _archfactory(self))

and add a bunch of stuff following the definition of scrub. It looks OK
to me. Without seeing Mailman/Mailbox.py.rej and maybe
Mailman/Mailbox.py and/or Mailman/Mailbox.py.orig, I can't tell you what
the problem is.

> Hunk #1 FAILED at 39.
> 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file Mailman/Version.py.rej

This is almost certainly because your existing Mailman/Version.py file
has  Mailman/Version.py has DATA_FILE_VERSION = some number different
from what the patch expects.

All you need to do is manually edit Mailman/Version.py and set
DATA_FILE_VERSION = a number bigger than what it currently is, perhaps
by appending '.1' to the existing number if it's an integer or
incrementing the number if it's a decimal.

> *** all other patching seems to work fine, and I've followed all
> instructions on the website to the best of my knowledge including changing
> the value of "DATA_FILE_VERSION" in the patch.

Did you change the

-DATA_FILE_VERSION =

line to match what's currently in the file and the

+DATA_FILE_VERSION =

line to a larger number?