[Mailman-Users] Approve/Deny moderated posts via email - my failure to understand how

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jul 23 01:26:17 CEST 2014

On 07/22/2014 03:38 PM, David wrote:

> After reading Mark's reply, I understand a little more, but I still do not
> have success. The message I receive back is:
>
> *Bad approval password given.  Held message is still being held.*
>

> What is the list password that is required? I have tried the list admin
> password and the list moderators password. Either those are not the
> required password or I am putting them in the wrong location in the message.

The password is either the list admin password or the list moderator
password.

The fact that you get the "Bad approval password" response indicates you
have included the Approved: header or first body line, but the password
doesn't match the list admin password or the list moderator password.
The header/line should be exactly

where password is the list admin or moderator password. If that's what
you're sending without any quotes or <> around the password, it is
possible that you are composing a 'rich text' reply and your MUA is
creating a text/plain alternative which has somehow munged the Approved:
line.

You can check this by including yourself in a Bcc: on the reply and then
examining the raw source of the Bcc: message.

Note that if you sent an HTML only message, The Approved: line wouldn't
be seen at all because only the first text/plain part if any is examined.