[Mailman-Users] Install from repository, or build from source?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Jun 4 17:18:24 CEST 2014

Steve Matzura writes:

 > I am a site admin for a system built on Debian version 7 (Wheezy). The
 > current available mailman package distribution version is 2.1.15 but I
 > want to use 2.1.18-1, which means, unless I miss my guess, it's got to
 > be built from source. If this isn't so, I'd greatly appreciate knowing
 > where and how to obtain the installable package. I've tried including
 > the version number, etc., in apt-get, but as of right now,k no go.

There is no package at Debian yet; even "sid" is currently on 2.1.16:
https://packages.debian.org/sid/mailman

Source builds aren't that hard, though.  It's also not that hard to
put new source into an old source package and update things, usually.
(Well, to be honest, I haven't done that in at least 10 years!)
Patches can be a little tricky (especially if they've since been
integrated into upstream), but the continuity is often worth it.