[Mailman-Users] Yahoo - what chance of change now?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Jun 10 07:32:35 CEST 2014

Peter Shute writes:

 > I'm interested to know what's in store because our current tactic
 > is to reject new Yahoo and AOL subscribers, encourage existing ones
 > to get new addresses, and to forward their messages by hand. This
 > is obviously not going to work if other providers gradually start
 > doing it too.

Well, Gmail clearly has decided that they know better than Yahoo!
which messages need to be rejected.  Although the only way to make a
computer totally secure is to pull out the plug, I suspect that they
are more secure against contact list theft than Yahoo! or AOL.  I
think their tech staff has more status than the tech staff at Yahoo!
and AOL, so they're less likely to roll out new features that can be
hacked because of management pressure.  It may be a long time before
Gmail gets hacked that way.  Ditto Microsoft.

Google also has their "Don't Be Evil" baggage to contend with.  They
may be less likely to make decisions known to involve substantial
collateral damage.

 > If our cpanel host ever upgrades then we'll be able to decide on a
 > more permanent solution.

Somebody said cPanel has already upgraded to Mailman 2.1.18-1, so at
least your host does have an upgrade path.