[Mailman-Users] Ignore DMARC bounces?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Jun 17 03:36:49 CEST 2014

Mark Sapiro writes:

 > While the idea of identifying a DMARC bounce and "forwarding" the
 > original post to the bounced recipient wrapped in some boilerplate about
 > the need to do so has some appeal, I think the implementation would be
 > too messy to contemplate. If you wish to try, the code is at
 > <https://code.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1> aka 'bzr branch
 > lp:mailman/2.1'.

For wrapping the message, the logic in dmarc_moderation_action is much
more efficient.  It checks for DMARC p=reject at the Author Domain,
and then does something.  Wrapping the message so that the "outside"
message is "From:" the list and the inside message is the original
(modified per list policy) is one option.  I'm not sure if there's any
way to specify an explanatory message, but it would be easy to add
such an option.

Note that for some lists (the ones I manage at XEmacs, for example)
almost none of the members honor p=reject, and for others 95% or more
of the subscribers are at GMail, Yahoo!, Hotmail, or AOL, which all
(more or less, you may get lucky with list traffic to GMail) honor
p=reject.  If you have few enough Yahoo! and AOL subscribers, a direct
appeal to them to use different posting addresses (followed up a
couple weeks later by a ban on posting from those domains) might be
very effective.  (For example, at least some parts of the Japanese
government did this in mid-April, at which point the 6 of 15 of the
students on my list who had @yahoo addresses simply stopped using them
for mail, although a couple of them still need them for Internet
shopping.)