[Mailman-Users] user configuration

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jun 21 18:01:52 CEST 2014

On 06/20/2014 11:28 AM, willi uebelherr wrote:

> In some maillist i have the problems, that the user configuration
> a) Receive your own posts to the list?  YES
> b) Avoid duplicate copies of messages?  NO
>
> is not working. On some maillists it is working. Never i administrate a
> mailman instance. I need some ideas to search in the documentation to
> this configuration overlay.

Well, it's not a "configuration overlay", but that's beside the point.
You are posting here from a gmail address. Gmail users NEVER receive
their own posts from lists. This is a Gmail "feature". See the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/2IA9> for more info.

> I am not shure, that this admin configuration overlay exist. But it
> seems like that.
>
> All the admin persons don't answer to my question. Maybe they don't
> understand my question. But it is simple.
>
> a) Receive your own posts to the list?  YES
> With YES, if you send a mail to the list server, he distribute this mail
> also to you.

Yes, but if you post from and receive your mail at Gmail, Gmail throws
it away.

> b) Avoid duplicate copies of messages?  NO
> With NO, the distribution act without any check of your address in TO or
> CC.

Correct.

> Because it don't work in general, i think, there is a admin
> configuration point to setup a general method over the users method.

There is no overriding admin configuration that would change these
behaviors. If Gmail is not the reason, then it is something else in the
delivery chain back to you. With the settings you describe, Mailman will
send you copies of your own posts.