[Mailman-Users] Trouble changing web_page_url

Richard richard at KarmannGhia.org
Wed Mar 5 18:30:01 CET 2014

Hello All,

My system that serves both email and mailman sits behind a firewall. Email
gets forwarded on by a gateway / firewall, and web access comes from a
different server machine that sits on the boundary - has access to both
networks, internal and external - and users get to mailman's web features
through use of an Apache mechanism I can't quite recite to you now. If the
user has the correct URL, everything works fine, but the automatically
generated web pages and text at header / footer of emails is wrong, and,
in particular that of welcome messages for new people.

I have a list I'd like to update and fix this (more than one, possibly, if
I get this figured out!) but recreating it with proper attributes won't be
easy as it has a bit of archive to it already. So, I thought I'd simply
dump the config, edit the output file and re-import the change, but it
won't take. On reloading, it always says, "Non-standard property restored:
web_page_url". And, indeed, the parameter is NOT changed. Damn.

So, I know about the wonderful tools available here:
http://www.msapiro.net/scripts/ I looked and found "set_attributes".
Great! But while it spits out a few happy looking lines of text and
appears to work at first, it returns the same error:

$ ./set_attributes "web_page_url = 'http://MyDomain.com/mailman/'" myList
attribute "web_page_url" changed
Non-standard property restored: web_page_url
$

-frown-

How am I supposed to do this?

Again, to be most precise, mailman is using the system's own internal
network name (which I don't want to / can't change) instead of the
external domain name I want it to use. I have not found a standard
administrator way of setting this value. Note that it's NOT a virtual
name! BOTH email and web server are accessable using the same domain name.

Thanks for any help.

Richard