[Mailman-Users] Can confirmation messages use custom Received: headers?

Yan Juras yan.juras at qc.cuny.edu
Fri Mar 14 22:42:52 CET 2014

Hi.

I've searched the archives several different ways about this and not found anything, so...

We run Mailman v2.1.4 on SuSE Enterprise v11 SP3 using Sendmail. The box is a virtual machine and pretty much dedicated to the purpose of being a listserver, at least at present.

We recently got a slew of Spamcop complaints about confirmation emails we sent as a result of subscription requests submitted via the web interface. These emails clearly state that the confirmation emails are a result of subscription requests submitted from a specific IP address. Clearly from the user's POV these emails are spam and I totally understand why the users are submitting the complaints in this instance. However, I also don't think that my mail system should be held responsible for sending these emails. (Consider that I am not held responsible for damage caused by my car if the person driving the car stole it from me.)

I was looking at the Spamcop FAQ and noticed a brief comment about the Received headers that some webmail interfaces add that list the IP address of the client that used HTTP to submit the email via a webmail GUI, for example:

The Spamcop FAQ kind of implies that Spamcop will consider the source of the HTTP (in this example, 66.191.176.186) as the sender, rather than the email server that converted the HTTP to SMTP. I've not checked this at all, so I may be reading into the FAQ.

So my question is this: can Mailman be configured in some straightforward way to add a Received: header with the IP address of the host that requested the subscription? I am not a Python programmer, but I am capable of making code changes if necessary.

Comments?
--
Yan Juras
Manager of Systems Engineering

Need Assistance? Call The OCT Help Desk at (718) 997-4444
OCT will never ask for your personal information or password. Never share this information with anyone.