[Mailman-Users] Q : Has anyone successfully deployed Mailman over a Plesk-based Linux system ?

Jacques Setton jsetton at waycast.com
Mon Mar 24 15:32:07 CET 2014

>> Stepping back a bit, your original posts showed a lot of
postfix_to_mailman
>> specific stuff in your Postfix configuration. I think you said or implied
that you
>> didn't intentionally configure this. Perhaps it is there because of
Plesk. I.e.
>> maybe Plesk's other Postfix stuff requires that postfix_to_mailman be
used
>> for Mailman.

The 'postfix_to_mailman' occurrences in my original posting most likely
resulted from my various attempts to solve the initially encountered
problem. I applied changes to the original Postfix and Mailman configuration
files based on information I collected from forums dealing with this topic.
Whereas I may have given a different impression, I am pretty much sure that
such scheme is NOT used by a standard Plesk-based server.

To my understanding, the proof of this relies on the following facts :

1) There is no file labeled 'postfix-to-mailman.py' on the server => the
'locate' command returns nothing...

2) The corresponding lines in the 'master.cf' file were never uncommented
and always remained like this -

	#mailman   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
	#  flags=FR user=list
argv=/usr/lib/mailman/bin/postfix-to-mailman.py
	#  ${nexthop} ${user}

3) There is a diagram posted on Parallels' Knowledge Base => Page 3 of an
MTA Presentation (source URL :
http://kb.parallels.com/Attachments/kcs-15646/MTA_presentation.pdf) which
highlights the alternative use of 'plesk_virtual', 'mailman' or 'relay'
modules to process/deliver mails to their appropriate destinations.

4) Such finding corroborates well with the corresponding actual settings
appearing in the 'master.cf' on our server, as follows :

	[ ... ]
	plesk_virtual unix - n n - - pipe flags=DORhu user=popuser:popuser
argv=/usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/postfix-local -f ${sender} -d ${recipient} -p
/var/qmail/mailnames

	mailman unix - n n - - pipe flags=R user=mailman:mailman
argv=/usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/postfix-mailman ${nexthop} ${user} ${recipient}

	# When relaying mail as backup MX, disable fallback_relay to avoid
MX loops
	relay     unix  -       -       n       -       -       smtp      -o
smtp_fallback_relay=
	smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
 	[ ... ]

5) The above settings specify the target 'argv=' routines as being either
'postfix-local' or 'postfix-mailman', both located in
'/usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/' directory. I checked and confirm that they are there
as expected. In addition, this is fully in-line with the MTA Presentation
diagram referred to in point 3 above...

>> Perhaps you should try removing all the Mailman specific aliases and
>> virtual-mailman stuff and configuring postfix_to_mailman instead.

Based on the previous comments, if we removed all the Mailman specific
aliases, etc. I believe that the system wouldn't work better and would
probably even generate errors (due to the missing 'p-to-m.py' file). My
feeling is that the problem results more from a possible wrong parameter
setup in the remainder of 'master.cf' or possibly in 'main.cf' configuration
files, but I wouldn't be able to determine where... Would you agree with
this assessment ?

>> You might also talk with the provider of your VPS to ensure that the
>> software with which they provisioned the VPS is known to interoperate
>> to produce a viable Mailman server.

Yes. I am currently discussing with our host provider. I am also evaluating
a different pre-configured server package not using Plesk at all. I'll post
the result of this evaluation to this list shortly...

Meanwhile, any thought/suggestion on the above would be highly welcomed.
Thanks !

- - -
  Jacques Setton
  jsetton at waycast.com