[Mailman-Users] building a new mailman server

Gary Algier gaa at ulticom.com
Thu Mar 27 15:25:19 CET 2014

On 03/27/14 04:26, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Sajan Parikh writes:
>
>   > sendmail is still widely used, and if I were you, I'd just stick with
>   > what works unless you have you a particular need that sendmail wasn't
>   > filling.
>
> +1 with caveat:
>
> Exim and Postfix both have recipes for working with Mailman 3.  It
> seems likely to me that it "won't be hard" to get Mailman 3 and
> Sendmail to work and play well together -- but nobody has done it yet.

I have it working fine.  I recently replaced a very old implementation
of sendmail and Mailman on Solaris with a new one on CentOS 6.  When I
did so, I used the POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD mechanism to automatically process
the aliases.  See:
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-June/037518.html

In mm_cfg.py:
     MTA='Postfix'
     POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/bin/sudo /etc/mail/import-mailman-aliases'
/etc/mail/import-mailman-aliases contains:
     #! /bin/sh
     /bin/cp /etc/mailman/aliases /etc/mail/mailman.aliases
     /usr/bin/newaliases
In /etc/sudoers.d/mailman:
     Cmnd_Alias IMPORT_MAILMAN_ALIASES = /etc/mail/import-mailman-aliases
     apache ALL= NOPASSWD: IMPORT_MAILMAN_ALIASES
     mailman ALL= NOPASSWD: IMPORT_MAILMAN_ALIASES
     Defaults!IMPORT_MAILMAN_ALIASES !requiretty
In the sendmail.mc file I changed:
     define(`ALIAS_FILE', `/etc/aliases')dnl
to:
     define(`ALIAS_FILE', `/etc/aliases,/etc/mail/mailman.aliases')dnl
so that the Mailman aliases would be in a separate file.

Warning: You need to have Mailman 2.1.15 or better (or patch it).
See this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/266408.
A fix is here:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1/revision/1291
(Thanks to Mark Sapiro)

I stayed with sendmail because I am using LDAP for aliases and routing and I
did not want to figure out how to do it with Postfix.  My one exposure to
Postfix was a disaster trying to fix the email services on our marketing
department's web server at a hosting provider that did not support sendmail.
Perhaps with time, I could have made it work for our mail server, but the
duckling syndrome may have set in (yes, I still use vi and sometimes ed).

--
Gary Algier, WB2FWZ            gaa at ulticom.com             +1 856 787 2758
Ulticom Inc., 1020 Briggs Rd, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054     Fax:+1 856 866 2033

Nielsen's First Law of Computer Manuals:
     People don't read documentation voluntarily.