[Mailman-Users] 2.1.18 internal documentation suggestions

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu May 1 02:42:56 CEST 2014

On 04/30/2014 03:18 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 04/30/2014 12:56 PM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
>
>> I can probably figure this out, but it might be good to explain this a
>> bit more completely in the Mailman internal docs.  It's not really clear
>> exactly how these options relate, and how the precedence of settings is
>> organized.  These may be stupid questions, but I can just about
>> guarantee you that all my list admins will trip on them :(
>

> I hear you. It is badly explained and I need to fix it. Thanks for
> raising this.

I changed it. In the 2.1.18 final it will say:

from_is_list (general): Replace the sender with the list address to
conform with policies like DMARC.

Replace the sender with the list address to conform with policies like
ADSP and DMARC. It replaces the poster's address in the From: header
with the list address and adds the poster to the Reply-To: header.

If this is set to Wrap Message, just wrap the message in an outer
message From: the list with Content-Type: message/rfc822.

These settings play as expected with the anonymous_list and Reply-To:
header munging settings below with the exception of adding "via
real_name" to the display name in the From: for an anonymous list and
adding the poster's address to Reply-To: in almost all cases.

If anonymous_list is Yes, there is no reason to set from_is_list to
anything other than No.

If dmarc_moderation_action applies to this message with an action other
than Accept, that action rather than this is applied

Note I also removed the bit about SPF and DKIM signing. They actually
may help with acceptance of your list mail by some ESPs, but not because
of DMARC, and the note could discourage people from using this when it
shouldn't.