[Mailman-Users] DMARC From munging: Keep original sender

Ralf Jung post at ralfj.de
Thu May 1 14:46:24 CEST 2014

Dear all,

I am currently experimenting with the From munging of Mailman (2.1.16)
to make my lists DMARC-compliant. This is generally working, there is a
problem though: I found no way so far to tell, from the mail that's
ultimately delivered to the users, who was the original sender. No
matter whether I set reply_goes_to_list to 0 or 1 (and unfortunately,
many of my users request a 1 here :-/ ), the final mail contains no
trace of the original sender except for its pretty-printed name.

Strange enough, I found code in Mailman/Handlers/CookHeaders.py which
adds the original sender to reply-to (which I was about to suggest), but
that header does not end up in the mail.
What I would expect to happen is (with from munging):
* reply_goes_to_list=0: The reply-to header contains the sender
* reply_goes_to_list=1: The reply-to header contains the sender (due to
  munging) and the list (due to replies going to the list)

Is this a known problem? Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be
appreciated.

Kind regards
Ralf