[Mailman-Users] DMARC From munging: Keep original sender

Ralf Jung post at ralfj.de
Thu May 1 16:54:02 CEST 2014

Hi,

thanks for the fast reply.

>> Strange enough, I found code in Mailman/Handlers/CookHeaders.py which
>> adds the original sender to reply-to (which I was about to suggest), but
>> that header does not end up in the mail.
>> What I would expect to happen is (with from munging):
>> * reply_goes_to_list=0: The reply-to header contains the sender
>> * reply_goes_to_list=1: The reply-to header contains the sender (due to
>>   munging) and the list (due to replies going to the list)
>>
>> Is this a known problem? Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be
>> appreciated.
>
> This is being addressed in MM 2.1.18, to be released shortly.

So what will be the new behaviour? I read through the release notes but
could not find anything applying to this particular issue.

I just noticed that stripping reply-to headers was enabled on the list
in question, and that this is not the default (as I originally thought
it was - I wasn't the one who initially set up these lists). Stripping
happens after From munging, so this explains my issue. After disabling
stripping, the original sender remains in the Reply-To.
I would however argue that this is not expected - in particular, the
text says that the Reply-To header of the "original message" is removed,
which I read as: First the header is removed, then all the other
processing is done.

Kind regards
Ralf