[Mailman-Users] Add PayPal to DNs publishing DMARC p=reject

Peter Shute pshute at nuw.org.au
Wed May 7 10:34:08 CEST 2014

> On 7 May 2014, at 4:07 pm, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
>
> Peter Shute writes:
>>
>> Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>>
>>> The DMARC WG advocates putting list-post in "From" in place
>>> of a DMARC p=reject address.  I advocate accepting their
>>> advice for stock Mailman, and avoiding other non-conforming
>>> workarounds until the market demands them.  If it gets noisy,
>>> feel free to cave in faster than you did on Reply-To munging.<wink />
>>
>> Can you explain that for the uneducated, please?
>
> Ouch!  Sorry for the tech talk, often it's a useful habit, but not
> always.
>
>> What do you mean by "list-post"? Is that the list address?
>
> There are several addresses that Mailman uses that might plausibly be
> called "the list address".  The one you are thinking of is often
> called "List-Post" because there is a header, hidden by most mail
> clients, by that name, to allow mail clients to automatically
> recognize the posting address (some provide a separate command for
> reply-to-list).  It is the address where members send posts.
>
> But there's also the list owner's address (one might think of that as
> "headquarters", and therefore "the list address")

Thanks, I understand now. If the result of this is that replies go to everyone on the list, this is something we don't want for our list. Private replies becoming public means trouble, and we have enough of it already when people Reply All by accident.

We've been getting by rejecting then manually forwarding yahoo and aol emails to the list. At least then accidental replies only come to us instead of everyone, and there's an obvious cue for the senders to get new addresses.

Peter Shute