[Mailman-Users] DMARC and Reply-To lines with from_is_list munging.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu May 8 00:47:13 CEST 2014

On 05/07/2014 12:45 PM, Glenn Sieb wrote:

> It's ridiculous. And I want to know why, exactly, Yahoo Groups isn't
> being affected by this. They're not doing the "via YahooGroup" bit, or
> wrapping their mails. :-\ I'm betting they're not even honoring the
> DMARC from other providers.

Yahoo groups doesn't have problems with mail From: yahoo.com because
they send the mail with envelope from ... at returns.groups.yahoo.com which
passes SPF and aligns with the domain in From:, but the interesting
question is what do they do with a post From: aol.com. I haven't had
time to test that yet.

Note that google groups does the same From: munging that Mailman does,
and only for From: domains that publish DMARC p=reject.

> *sigh* I hate this frustration.

So do we all. The Mailman development community resents as much as
anyone being forced into this "here's what *we're* doing, now *you* have
to figure out how to deal with it" bind, but that's where we are. We are
trying to talk with DMARC proponents, and we're trying to figure out how
to mitigate the effects with the least possible disruption to users and
to long term, established standards and practices.