[Mailman-Users] web search members criteria mod

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu May 8 18:37:25 CEST 2014

On 05/08/2014 06:47 AM, Sylvain Viart wrote:

> Is it possible to use the member management form, or some tricks, to
> filter members authorized to post to an announce list?
>
> newsletter : How do I create a newsletter/announcement/one-way list?
> http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030685

>From your followup, you know it is easy from the command line. Since you
don't have that access, see the script at
<http://www.msapiro.net/scripts/mailman-subscribers.py> which you can
use to screen-scrape the wed admin UI and get the membership including
flags in a CSV file which you can filter on mod bit.

> May be not…
> Should I use : accept_these_nonmembers  and moderate everyone including
> the poster?

If the poster is a member, that won't work as the post will be held as
from a moderated member and *_these_nonmembers won't be consulted.

> I know the trick about

> But I'm sure every post will bounce once, and the poster will forget it
> every time… :-\

This is the ONLY secure way to post to an announce list. Without this,
anyone on the list knows who an authorized poster is as soon as they
receive a post, and can spoof that address if they want to post.

Well maybe not the ONLY way. You can always moderate everyone and hold
moderated posts and then approve the ones you want, but that is a lot of
work for a moderator.