[Mailman-Users] DMARC and Reply-To lines with from_is_list munging.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu May 8 21:54:30 CEST 2014

On 05/08/2014 12:42 PM, Glenn Sieb wrote:

> In the past, this was easy
> enough. The From: line was there with the OP's email address. Now, as
> far as I can tell, depending on the MUA the *poster* uses, there *might*
> be two Reply-Tos--one with the OP email, one with the list address. But
> that's not reliable, as it doesn't happen for ALL posters.

There will only be one Reply-To: header in outgoing mail from Mailman
per RFC 822/2822/5322.

With the DMARC mitigations, at least as of 2.1.18, this Reply-To: will
always contain the posters original From: address. Depending on the
first_strip_reply_to and reply_goes_to_list settings of the list and
whether or not there was a Reply-To: in the incoming mail, it may
contain other addresses too. It will never contain duplicate addresses.