[Mailman-Users] Subscription flood

Bill Christensen billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Fri May 9 19:46:42 CEST 2014

On 5/8/14 12:02 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 05/08/2014 09:31 AM, Bill Christensen wrote:
>> Question 1: Is it possible to reverse the order of approval and
>> confirmation when requiring both?  The admin then can reject all those
>> with duplicates, only allowing the (presumably real) single subscription
>> requests to send out a confirmation request.
>
> It would require significant code changes.
>

>> If so, how would that be done?
>>
>> Question 2: Any other suggestions on how to handle this?
>>
>> Currently running mailman 2.1.13_0 (Next stop is to MacPorts list to see
>> if the maintainer will update the port to the latest version)
>
> There are mitigations which may help in Mailman 2.1.16. See
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1082746>.

Ok, great.

I temporarily removed the signup form from the listinfo page in hopes of
stemming the tide, and replaced it with a request to use the site's
contact form so that we can manually add interested subscribers.  I
purposely don't have a subscribe email address set up for this list.
But somehow they're still coming in - another 1300+ since yesterday.

What other holes can I plug?

Thanks.