[Mailman-Users] DMARC and Reply-To lines with from_is_list munging.

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Sun May 11 20:24:16 CEST 2014

On Sun, 2014-05-11 at 18:28 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Legitimizing the ESPs does bother me, but that wasn't my point, and I
> think it probably wasn't John's either.  My point was that anything
> that makes it appear that a message whose DKIM signature doesn't
> verify is actually from the user assigned that address can be emulated
> by spammers.  That will cause these same ESPs to try to prevent that
> from happening, and the cycle starts again.

That's true, but what I suggested is, or should be simpler than that,
and is fundamentally no different from what Mailman does now with
wrapping.  The points are:

1)  implementation of a MIME multipart standard _specifically_ for the
purpose of wrapping emails would be a good idea.  The result would be
not so much the visual elimination of information from a message but a
standardization of MUA presentation so as to avoid putting off non-tech
people.  No effort need be made to make a message appear that it's
something that it's not, or to disguise the presence or absence of DKIM
verification.

2)  the observation that such encapsulation, and a uniform way of
handling and presenting it, may be a way forward if ANY methods of
sender authentication become widespread, which IMHO is likely.  If the
industry requires standards and the IETF standards process doesn't keep
up, the result is, and always has been, fragmented standards (a.k.a. no
standards).  Case in point: the non-standardization of HTML enhancement
for email.

> The MUA authors (at least the MUAs I use ;-) will catch up by the
> way.  Some already do, actually.

I would guess that Xemacs VM isn't for the technologically faint of
heart ;)

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works if you let it"
FMP Computer Services |