[Mailman-Users] Who authored the message?

Dave Nathanson Dave.Lists at Nathanson.org
Tue May 13 18:48:47 CEST 2014

Hi Mark,
We've got Mailman 2.1.17 at Dreamhost.

List Settings:
from_is_list = Mung From
anonymous_list = No
first_strip_reply_to = Yes
reply_goes_to_list  = Explicit address
reply_to_address = AlmostEverybody at example.com (without subdomain)
Include_sender_header = Yes

In this case, the message author MUA does not provide their display name, and
the list _does_ have a real name for that person, but Mailman did not insert it. So after going through Mailman, the
From header said only: "Via AlmostEverybody at list.example.com".

Today I experimented with first_strip_reply_to set to No.

This means that a reply is addressed to both the list and to previous author.
If nodups = Yes.
Then the previous author will get only 1 copy of the message. But the copy they get is the direct mail (including senders email address), not the list mail. When that person replies to the message, it will only go to the most recent previous author, not to the list.

Maybe this is acceptable(?), since most of the time people don't reply to their own list messages?

Im my experience, the majority of users are incapable of adding or deleting anything from the Reply-To or To field. That's why up to now, I've opted for the Reply-To to only contain the desired list address.

Best,
 Dave Nathanson
 Mac Medix