[Mailman-Users] Subscription flood

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue May 13 22:12:14 CEST 2014

At Tue, 13 May 2014 14:54:26 -0500 Bill Christensen <billc_lists at greenbuilder.com> wrote:

> I finally got a chance to look over the logs today; this is a widely
> distributed attack, so address blocking is probably futile.

How widely?  It *could* be a /16 subnet (eg distributed over 2^^16 address)
somewhere in an 'odd' part of the world (somewhere your potential subscriber
base is not likely to be from).

Even if it is widely distributed, fail2ban might do what you need.  The
*worst* the fail2ban would do is make things difficult for a *few* legit
subscription requesters.