[Mailman-Users] Get newer version of Mailman for Debian 6?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu May 15 14:51:12 CEST 2014

At Thu, 15 May 2014 16:32:30 +0900 "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

> Sascha Rissel writes:
>  > Hello there,
>  >
>  > I am running a vServer on Debian6.
>  > Via "apt-get install mailman" I installed and set up Mailman 2.1.13, which
>  > is running fine with 5 mailing lists on my server.
>  >
>  > Motivated by all those discussions about Yahoo's DMARC on this list, I
>  > wondered whether I can upgrade my Mailman installation to a newer version.
>  >
>  > I tried "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade" but I did not receive a
>  > newer version of Mailman.
>
> I think it's probably easier to use aptitude (or some other UI) rather
> than apt-get.
>
> A search at Debian (https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages)
> shows that the current stable version of Debian (wheezy, aka Debian 7)
> includes Mailman 2.1.15, which is too old to have any DMARC mitigation
> features.  The current unstable version includes 2.1.16, which has
> some early attempts at mitigating DMARC, but apparently 2.1.17 and
> 2.1.18 are not packaged at all.

Mailman 2.1.16 is cabable of mitigating DMARC, at least well enough for most
list users, in that the from_is_list / reply to munging available in 2.1.16
does get the messages through to one's list users, even those with Yahoo, Aol,
and Hotmail addresses.  It is not pretty, but it generally works well enough.